When visiting a foreign country, regardless of the profile of a stay it is advisable to get some information about the place of destination. Such attitude not only expands knowledge and makes the stay easier, but also allows to understand local people and shows respect to them, their culture and heritage.
Below we present a bunch of general information about Poland, which will help to get familiar with this country. Information are basic and essential so people interested in getting more complex knowledge should pay a visit to the official website promoting Poland - www.poland.gov.pl. There you may find more detailed information concerning history, culture, geography and economics of this country. There are also folders, essays and quiz games. The website is available in 9 languages (Polish, English, German, French, Spanish Russian, Arabic, Portuguese and Chinese).
- The official name of the country is Republic of Poland
- Capital city: Warsaw
- Area: 312,683 km2 (9 place in Europe and 63 in the world)
- Population: about 38,2 mln (which is about 5% of population of Europe and 0,53% population of the world which gives Poland 8th place in Europe and 34th in the world)
- Official language: polish (more information in polish language section)
- National symbols:
- Currency: Złoty/PLN (1 złoty = 100 groszy), bills: 10, 20, 50, 100 i 200 zł; coins: 1, 2, 5 zł and 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 gr
- 1 EUR exchange rate = 4,19 PLN
- 1 USD exchange rate = 3,05 PLN
- GDP: 489.8 billion USD (data from 2012, according to the world - 22nd world economy)
- International Dialling Code: +48
- Political System: Parliamentary Democracy